jeudi 14 octobre 2010

Jerash

As Community Coordinator for the Embassy, part of my responsibility is to organize social and tourism events for the newcomers to the Embassy. I've taken colleagues to restaurants, the mall (which happened to be my first time as well), and, of interest here, Jerash - site of old Roman ruins about 40 minutes north of Amman. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure :)

We planned to arrive just in time for the Roman Chariot Race simulation, in which they explained to us the social dynamics and functioning of Jerash when it was a Roman town. Slightly awkward, it was very entertaining. We weren't always quite sure how serious or funny they were trying to be, so it all just turned out to seem like a Asterix & Obelix representation more than anything else.

























After the show we walked around the Jerash ruins themselves, in the scorching heat. There weren't very information panels (as in many places I've seen in the region thus far, unfortunately), and we hadn't taken an audio guide, so I focused on the pictures I was taking. And on climbing the ruins ;)





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire